Wednesday 22 August 2012

Star Wars 1313 - A Mature Star Wars


Star Wars. We’ve all heard of it; pretty much half the planet has. And us gamers all know about it’s … sometimes mediocre but sometimes fantastical games! (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic forever!) Anyway, I’m getting off topic. I’m here today to give my thoughts on the new Star Wars 1313 – a different take on this world of guys who whack each other with beam swords and the Force.

Everything about this screams "epic reimagining!"
So, Star Wars 1313? Heard of it? Well, even if you have, I’ll explain anyway. It’s basically the Uncharted of the Star Wars franchise. Ok, I’m getting the feeling that every game has this need to copy off Uncharted which copied off Tomb Raider. Never forget Tomb Raider, got it? Uh, anyway …

So as I was saying, Star Wars 1313 is not another “become-Jedi-kill-people-with-Force/lightsabre” type thing. Nope. As I said earlier, think of it this way. Imagine Uncharted … and now think of a Star Wars version of it. Pretty … interesting, isn’t it. Anyway, it’s a 3rd Person shooter, set in the slums and underworld of Coruscant, and it is very very nice. It’s all about the dark world in the city, with bounty hunters, murderers, bad people, and so it gives off quite a mature, gritty feeling, which is quite a new thing for Star Wars. It aims to be the newcomer that'll change it all, and well, I think it's going pretty good. 

Yes. Yes indeed.
Now, here are my own thoughts. It’s a very exciting new take for Star Wars, concept wise, and the presentation of it is just brilliant. It’s got that Hollywood-blockbuster feel to it, but at the same time, it feels dark and gritty – it’s just great to see all of this. By the way, it is EPIC. The cinematic fights, and gameplay is just ... stunning. Really. The graphics are just gorgeous. Seriously, they are. And the sound is pretty good, with exciting battle music and what not, but the gameplay is … well, an exact copy of Uncharted. Don’t get me wrong, I love Uncharted, but … it feels too similar, but that could be because I barely know it. But combat-wise, it looks fairly alike. But who knows? There might be some gangster like gameplay in there too! Overall, it’s a nice package, but there are some conceptual problems I have with it (too much like Uncharted!) but it’s a fresh new take on Star Wars – best game since KOTOR. Yup.

Yes, because all games require you to be scrambling for your life on a burning piece of debris.
I'll be sure to follow this game. You should too! I'll probably talk about it again when I'm in the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment